Get PEFC Certified
PEFC Chain of Custody certification is based on best practice guidelines for certification.
It uses globally implemented ISO guidelines to ensure independence, transparency and impartiality of the certification process.
In order to obtain PEFC Chain of Custody certification, certain key requirements must be fulfilled.
- The management systems in place outlining procedures must ensure compliance with the PEFC International Chain of Custody standard. This information can be integrated into existing systems your company may have already implemented, such as ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 procedures.
- The personnel responsible for performing the tasks which will affect the implementation and maintenance of the Chain of Custody, e.g., buyers, marketing and sales personnel, must be identified, briefed and trained. It is vital to ensure that everyone involved has appropriate knowledge of the purpose and requirements of Chain of Custody certification.
- The necessary checks need to be implemented to verify that sourced material is certified – production of certified goods requires procurement of certified material. The PEFC product database is a good resource for identifying suppliers of certified material.
- The processes must be implemented to ensure that the production of certified goods meets the requirements for Chain of Custody certification. Proof may be required at any stage of the process.
- The records to prove that all systems comply with requirements must be properly maintained.
- Internal audits must be conducted on an annual basis. These internal audits are in addition to external third-party audits.
What follows is a description of some of the key stages required to obtain Chain of Custody certification:
- Set up the Chain of Custody system and train staff; ensure compliance with PEFC's strict requirements.
- Locate a PEFC-notified certification body in your country (if your country is not listed, please select "PEFC Council"); establish initial contact by phone, e-mail or personal meeting.
- Arrange for an independent certification body to assess your Chain of Custody system against the Chain of Custody standard and check that all requirements are fulfilled.
This is done by making a formal application for Chain of Custody certification with the certification body of your choice. Based on this application, you will receive a proposal, including a cost estimate. Costs of PEFC Chain of Custody certification are fixed by individual certification bodies; due to the competitive nature of the certification business prices may vary by country and certification body.
Most certification bodies establish their fees on the basis of the time needed to carry out the audit. Audit time depends on a number of variables, including company size and complexity of the Chain of Custody. This averages between half a day and two days.
- A site visit by auditors from the certification body to assess compliance with the PEFC International Chain of Custody Standard will be arranged.
- Resolve, if necessary, any non-compliance issues. This is a pre-requisite before a Chain of Custody certificate can be issued.
- If your Chain of Custody system is found to be compliant with certification requirements, you will be issued PEFC certification. The Chain of Custody certificate is usually valid for a period of three years. An annual surveillance audit is required to confirm that your operation continues to comply with Chain of Custody requirements.
- Renew Chain of Custody certification. In order to renew your Chain of Custody certification upon expiry, you will be required to undergo a new assessment.
For further information or any questions about PEFC Chain of Custody certification, please contact:
Sign up for Newsletters
Contact a PEFC-notified certifier in your country for further information about PEFC certification.
- Indonesian Forest Certification Scheme Open for Public Consultation
- PEFC-Sponsored Industry Award Goes to Scottish Visitor Centre
- New Danish Public Procurement Policy Demands Sustainable Timber
- Portugal Announces Start of Standard Setting Process
- What a Year - PEFC Highlights Key Achievements in 2013!
Trace PEFC certificates!
Obtain comprehensive information about any PEFC Forest Management or Chain of Custody certificate.
Validate Logo Licence Number!
Check out the validity of any PEFC logo licence number online!