PEFC is able to draw on a wide network of experts with theoretical and practical knowledge of sustainable forest management and related issues.
Yet, PEFC seeks continually to improve its knowledge base and performance. To this end, PEFC is engaged in a range of activities intended to
- raise awareness of certification,
- build capacity to achieve certification,
- contribute to research and new scientific knowledge,
- encourage improved cooperation, and
- enable a better understanding of traditional knowledge and cultural heritage embodied by forests to promote their sustainable management and certification.
Projects & Initatives
- Cultural Heritage in Sustainable Forest Management (SFM)
A practical field guide to cultural heritage within forests for forest managers from a Dutch perspective.
- E-Learning 4 PEFC
Development of an e-learning platform that will address a wide range of training needs for both technical and non-technical users.
- Future Forest Managers
Introducing future forest managers to sustainable forest management and certification.
- Indigenous Peoples & Certification
Exploring the link between certification and rights recognition and raising awareness of Indigenous Peoples on certification.
- Life Cycle Assessment
Bridges a gap between two commonly utilized sustainability approaches – life cycle assessment (LCA) and forest certification.
- Smallholder Group Certification
Promoting certification in areas where it is less widespread, but where the sustainable management of forests has taken on increasing urgency to alleviate poverty and fight climate change.
- Sustainability of European Forests
Addressing threats to European forests arising from climate change, increased global trade, population mobility, and tourism, and interactions between climate change and pests and pathogens.
- Malaysia Monitoring Procedures
Supporting the development of monitoring and conservation procedures for endangered tree species in Peninsular Malaysia.
Sign up for Newsletters
News from national PEFC members
- Leading Italian Food Producer Supports Sustainable Forest Management
- Asian Certification Can Boost UK Wood Markets
- Giro’s 3rd Placed Fabio Aru Wins First Ever PEFC “Sport and Forest” Award
- Forests are already the Winners of the “Maglia Rosa” at the 97th Giro d’Italia
- SFI Invests in Forest Conservation Research