The PEFC logo and labels are globally trusted registered trademarks which assist businesses, consumers, forest owners and managers, and other stakeholders to identify and promote merchandise and goods from sustainably-managed forests.
They indicate that wood, non-wood or wood-based products originate from PEFC-certified timber.
PEFC must protect its trademark and ensure that its eco-labels are used accurately and verifiably, and that any claims associated with it are relevant and not misleading.
Correct usage of the logo on products and associated documentation and in any communication is essential for protecting PEFC’s credibility.
All entities, both certificate holders and non-certificate holders, are required to obtain a Logo Usage License from the PEFC Council or an authorized licensing agent (e.g. national PEFC members or PEFC promotion initiatives) before using the PEFC logo and label.
Logo User Groups
The PEFC logo license is available to four different logo user groups:
- CoC Certified Companies (PEFC Logo User Group C)
These are entities along the value chain of forest-based products that have obtained PEFC Chain of Custody certification.
- SFM Certified Forest Owners/Managers (PEFC Logo User Group B)
These are entities owning/managing forests that have obtained PEFC-recognized certification for sustainable forest management.
- Non-Certified Entities (PEFC Logo User Group D)
These are entities selling certified products without the requirement to obtain PEFC certification and others that strive to promote and educate about PEFC certification.
- Authorized Licensing Agents (PEFC Logo User Group A)
These are entities authorized to issue PEFC logo licenses on behalf of the PEFC Council.
- One-Time Users
Simplified licensing requirements are available for entities using the logo on a one-time basis for illustrative or educational purposes (off-product only).
Logo Use Options
Two logo use options exist:
- The use of the logo physically on a certified product and on stationary, brochures or other documentation linked to the product ("on-product"); and
- the use of the logo not linked to a product, for instance for promotional or educational purposes ("off-product").
Important notice: On-product use of the logo is only available to certified entities. Any use of the PEFC logo and label that refers to – or can be perceived as referring to – a specific PEFC-certified product and/or the origin of the raw material used in its production is considered “on-product” use.
PEFC offers two on-product labels and one off-product label:
- at least 70% of wood comes from PEFC-certified forests that meet or exceed PEFC’s Sustainability Benchmark; and
- wood from controlled sources
PEFC Certified & Recycled
- at least 70% of wood comes from PEFC-certified forests that meet or exceed PEFC’s Sustainability Benchmark and/or post-consumer recycled material; and
- wood from controlled sources.
Post-consumer recycled material must meet PEFC’s requirements for chemical and non-chemical contamination. The amount of post-consumer recycled material is specified within the recycling symbol.
- Designed for educational or promotional purposes, this label indicates support for sustainable forest management and PEFC certification.
Covers requirements for users of the PEFC Logo to ensure accurate, verifiable, relevant and non-misleading use of the PEFC logo and claims.
Administration of PEFC Scheme (PEFC GD 1004:2009)
Covers requirements for the administration of the PEFC scheme including PEFC notification of certification bodies; PEFC Logo usage licensing; operation of the PEFC Registration System; complaint and dispute procedures.
Issuance of PEFC Logo Use Licenses by the PEFC Council (PEFC GD 1005:2010)
Describe the rules for the issuance of PEFC logo usage licenses directly by the PEFC Council to assure legal compliance.
PEFC offers three standard labels for identification of PEFC-certified products
PEFC Certified & Recycled
The PEFC logo and the initials “PEFC” are the exclusive property of the PEFC Council and are internationally registered trademarks.
Validate Logo Licence Number!
Check out the validity of any PEFC logo licence number online!
The PEFC logo and the initials "PEFC" are registered trademarks. We encourage anyone to report improper use.