Council for Sustainable Forest Management and Certification in Bulgaria
History before PEFC
On February 18, 2011 PEFC Bulgaria was established as a non-profit association "PI-EF-CI-BULGARIA-UNION FOR SUPPORT OF FOREST CERTIFICATION". This working group drafted a scheme with criteria and indicators for the sustainable management of forests in Bulgaria, according to the PEFC Council framework criteria. The following procedure was let by PEFC International and included a public consultation.
In 2017, the statute was changed, which included the change of the name of the organization to “Council for Sustainable Forest Management and certification in Bulgaria” (CSFMCB or PEFC Bulgaria).
The leading member organizations/institutions in the Council are represented by:
- BULPROFOR – Branch organization of the foresters and forest entrepreneurs in Bulgaria;
- Branch Chamber of Woodworking and Furniture Industry;
- Forest Institute in Bulgarian Academy of Science;
- Forestry University;
- National association of non-state forest owners “GOROVLADELETZ”
- NATURA-21 Foundation;
- NGO - “NATURE FOR THE PEOPLE AND REGIONS”
The Statute of the Council provides an open space for the stakeholders in forestry to apply for the membership in the organization.
The CSFMCB is a non-profit and non-governmental organization established as a National Governing Body for promotion of sustainable forest management according to the requirements of PEFC.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance?
PEFC certification is more flexible than other certifications and respects equally ecological and environmental functions of forests and their social and economic functions. PEFC certification is oriented towards the needs of the forest owners and is open to innovative approaches to certification and monitoring of management. PEFC certification is business-oriented and brings together forest owners and forest-related organizations.
Bulgarian system information
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 26 June 2019
- Review date: 26 June 2024
- Endorsed: 25 October 2019
- Public consultation: 4 July - 2 September 2018
- Webinar: 10 August 2018 - listen to the recording
- System submitted for assessment: November 2017
- Joined PEFC: 31 May 2017