The Norwegian Forest Certification System was first endorsed in 2000 and has been re-endorsed a further three times. The latest system is currently under assessment.
2015 system documentation
To maintain its PEFC endorsement, the system must meet specific endorsement milestones. The first milestone is the start of the periodic review within five years of the national approval of the sustainable forest management standard.
- National approval date: 20 February 2015
- Review date: 20 February 2020
2022 system assessment
- Status: Public consultation opening soon, assessment ongoing
- Type: Revised system (maintaining the endorsement)
- System submitted for assessment: 20 August 2022
- Webinar: 10:00 CEST, 26 September - register for the webinar
- Consultation: 26 September - 24 November 2022
- Assessor: to be announced
- Re-endorsed: 14 January 2016
- Re-endorsed: 5 November 2010
- Re-endorsed: 28 February 2006
- Endorsed: 23 May 2000
- Joined PEFC: 30 June 1999
History before PEFC
In the late 90's there was a big project in Norway regarding sustainable forestry. The project's name was "The Living Forests". The aim of the project was to develop criteria and requirements for sustainable forestry in Norway.
The project was widely composed, and representatives of forest owners, forest industry, workers, environmental organisations, outdoor organisations, consumers and public authorities reached an agreement on "The Living Forests Standard" in 1998.
PEFC Norway was established in June 1999 and was among those nations that right from the start became members of PEFC International. In December 1999, PEFC Norway applied for endorsement of the national PEFC scheme and in May 2000 it was formally endorsed.
What are the benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance
Collaboration and sharing of knowledge and information are key benefits of being part of the PEFC alliance. The markets for many wood products are global and it is important that PEFC is recognized throughout the world. And through collaboration we can strengthen PEFC in each country and as a whole in a cost-effective way.