Ski world celebrates with PEFC
22 February 2013 News
The Nordic Ski World Championship currently underway in Fiemme, Italy, highlights the positive contribution that of responsible sourcing. From sports facilities, the awards stage and other temporary structures, to trophies, paper and even toilet paper - the wood used for the Championship is predominately coming from local forests that are managed responsibly.
To provide evidence for sustainability, the organizers opted to procure products certified by PEFC, the world's largest forest certification system. The use of local wood coming from PEFC certified forests in the Fiemme Valley has already generated a positive economic impact of 500.000 EUR for the local economy and highlighting the economic and social significance of the more than 150 companies in the wood supply chain.
The choice of the organizers of Trentino to give preference to locally sourced wood from sustainably managed forests is appreciated by millions of skiers globally. It goes beyond the commitments of the 2012 London Summer Olympics, which relied to a large extent to imported material and challenge the next 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics.
Media are extensively reporting, and interested readers is invited to browse through this short selection of media reports:
- Sci nordico, in val di Fiemme Mondiali al via con "un'anima verde (Corriere dello Sport, Italy’s most influential sports magazine)
- In Val di Fiemme i Campionati di sci diventano eco-sostenibili (Corriere Nazionale)
- Buongiorno Regione Trentino Alto Adige (RAI TV - report starting at 26:45 minutes)
- PEFC Italy in Consorzio dei Comuni Trentini (Consorzio dei Comuni Trentini)
- More Videos: PEFC Italy TV
- Fiemme 2013, lo sci nordico è green (Wired Magazine)
- Sport, natura e sostenibilità nei Mondiali di Fiemme 3013 sono certificati PEFC (Fondo Italia)
- Fiemme 2013, i mondiali di sci dall'anima green (Rinnovabiliti)
- I Mondiali di sci Fiemme 2013 sono certificati PEFC (l'Adigetto)
- Mondiali 2013: 90% del legname proveniente dalla Val di Fiemme (TrentoToday)
- Mondiali Trentino Fiemme 2013, Mondiali Eco-Sostenibili - Ita/Eng (VallediFiemme)
Press contact in Fiemme:
Antonio Brunori, PEFC Italy: +39 348 281 4116